Extension and Ag Research News


Document 2011 Losses for Disaster Aid by Sept. 30

Don’t wait until the crop is in the bin because that may be too late.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture announced that losses experienced by farmers and ranchers during 2011 will be covered under the Supplemental Revenue (SURE) program if they document the loss by Sept. 30.

The SURE program expires on Sept 30, so that is why there is the need to document the loss before the expiration date.

“However, many acres of several crops are harvested after Sept. 30,” says Dwight Aakre, North Dakota State University Extension Service farm management specialist. “With the delayed start to the 2011 planting season in North Dakota and surrounding states, more than the normal acreage of corn, soybeans, sunflowers and other crops will be harvested in October. The final yields usually are not determined until the crops are in the bin, which means it will be too late to document a loss for the permanent disaster program for 2011. Therefore, producers need to notify their crop insurance agent before Sept. 30 if they think there might be a qualifying loss.”

Producers also may document the loss with the Farm Service Agency (FSA). Producers with crops covered by a noninsured assistance (NAP) contract also will need to notify the FSA prior to Sept. 30.

The paperwork completed by the crop insurance agent will serve as documentation of a loss. An actual application for the SURE program must be completed at the FSA. Because the SURE program utilizes the marketing year average price in calculating farm revenue, the FSA will not be taking applications for the 2011 crop until the fall of 2012.

“The important point is to contact either your crop insurance agent or the FSA by Sept. 30,” Aakre says. “Don’t wait until the crop is in the bin because that may be too late.”

NDSU Agriculture Communication

Source:Dwight Aakre, (701) 231-7378, dwight.aakre@ndsu.edu
Editor:Rich Mattern, (701) 231-6136, richard.mattern@ndsu.edu
Creative Commons License
Feel free to use and share this content, but please do so under the conditions of our Creative Commons license and our Rules for Use. Thanks.