Extension and Ag Research News


Ag Producers Should Do Income Tax Planning Before Year-end

[Editors: This story will not be valid after Jan. 1.]

Agricultural producers should do tax planning before the end of the year based on the information known at this time.

""It is best to start with year-to-date income and expenses and estimate them for the remainder of the year,"" says Ron Haugen, North Dakota State University Extension Service farm economist. ""Do not forget any income that was deferred to 2011 from a previous year. Depreciation also needs to be estimated. It is best to try to spread out income and expenses so producers don't have abnormally high or low income or expenses in any one year. However, caution should be used in deferring too much income into future years because it may push you into a higher tax bracket."

These are items to note for planning 2011 tax returns:

  • The section 179 expense election is $500,000 for 2011. It generally allows producers to deduct up to $500,000 of new or used machinery or equipment purchased in the tax year. There is a dollar-for-dollar phase-out for purchases above $2 million. The section 179 expense election is scheduled to revert to $139,000 for 2012 unless Congress acts.
  • The additional first-year bonus depreciation is available for 2011. It is available for new property with a recovery period of 20 years or less. It is equal to 100 percent of the adjusted basis after any section 179 expensing. It is scheduled to revert to 50 percent in 2012.
  • Income averaging can be used by producers to spread the tax liability to lower income tax brackets in the three previous years. This is done on schedule J. North Dakota farmers who elect to use income averaging for federal purposes also may use Form ND 1FA (income averaging) for North Dakota income tax calculations.
  • Crop insurance proceeds and government crop disaster payments can be deferred to the next tax year if a producer is a cash-basis taxpayer and can show that normally income from damaged crops would be included in a tax year following the year of the damage. Producers with a revenue insurance product may receive an indemnity as a result of price declines and yield loss. Indemnities from price declines are not deferrable. If it is not itemized line by line from the insurance company, contact the company to find out what part of the indemnity is from a price decline and what part is from a yield loss.
  • A livestock deferral can be done for those who had a forced sale of livestock because of a weather-related disaster. Two methods can be used. In the first method, income can be deferred to the next year for all types of livestock sold prematurely. In the second method, income from livestock held for draft, breeding or dairy purposes is not taxed if like-kind animals are repurchased within two years (or more depending on weather conditions, disaster declarations or extensions) from the end of the tax year in which the animals were sold. Only the gain on the sale of those animals above and beyond what was normally sold would qualify for postponement.
  • For 2011, long-term capital gains and qualified dividends have a zero tax rate for those in the 10 or 15 percent tax bracket and a 15 percent rate for those in higher tax brackets.

Here is what producers can do before the end of the year to limit their tax liability:

  • Prepay farm expenses. Feed, fertilizer, seed and similar expenses can be prepaid. Typically, discounts are received by paying for these expenses in the fall. Producers can deduct prepaid expenses that do not exceed 50 percent of their other deductible farm expenses.
  • Pay real estate taxes or interest. Paying taxes or interest can be done before the end of the year to increase 2011 expenses.
  • Defer income to 2012. Crop and livestock sales can be deferred until the next year by using a deferred payment contract. Most grain elevators or sales barns will defer sales until the next tax year. Producers should be aware that they are at risk if the business becomes insolvent before the check is received and cashed.
  • Purchase machinery or equipment. Machinery or equipment purchases can be made before the end of the year to get a depreciation or 179 expense deduction in 2011.

Information on agricultural topics can be found in the Farmers Tax Guide, Publication 225. It can be obtained at any IRS office or can be ordered by calling (800) 829-3676. Any questions about these topics should be addressed to your tax professional or the IRS at (800) 829-1040 or http://www.irs.gov. North Dakota income tax questions can be addressed to the North Dakota Tax Department at (877) 328-7088 or http://www.nd.gov/tax/.

NDSU Agriculture Communication - Dec. 6, 2011

Source:Ron Haugen, (701) 231 8103, ronald.haugen@ndsu.edu
Editor:Rich Mattern, (701) 231-6136, richard.mattern@ndsu.edu
Creative Commons License
Feel free to use and share this content, but please do so under the conditions of our Creative Commons license and our Rules for Use. Thanks.