Williston Research Extension Center


Facebook Like Box
| Share


The History of the Williston Research Extension Center

first farm main building


The Williston Experiment Station was established by House Bill 240 on March 13, 1907. It was located north-east of Williston along the Little Muddy Creek. Originally 160 acres, approximately 130 acres were irrigable. Soils were not typical of the area. In 1939 the legislature added an irrigation unit in McKenzie County (which was sold to the Corps of Engineers in 1957).


first farm



In 1953 the legislature permitted relocation of the Station and the sale of 80 acres of the original 160 acres. The 80 acres retained by the State of North Dakota is now the site of Williston State College.


Williston Research Extension Center




Money from the sale of the 80 acres was used to purchase 640 acres of land, build two dwellings, a machine shed, a seed house, shop and garage along with site improvements, such as roads and a water system - all for only $175,000! Relocation took place in 1953 and 1954. In 1985 the legislature permitted purchase of an additional 160 acres of land and in 1989 changed the name to Williston Research Center, which was later amended to Williston Research Extension Center.

Creative Commons License
Feel free to use and share this content, but please do so under the conditions of our Creative Commons license and our Rules for Use. Thanks.