Extension Agents & Staff
the NDSU Extension Service. We extend education to North Dakota residents of all ages and walks of life. You’ll find us at work in your county, at Research Extension Centers and at the main campus of North Dakota State University. As North Dakotans work to improve their lives, we’re there to help. Our efforts have a special emphasis on strengthening agriculture and developing the potential of youth, adults and communities. Our efforts are funded by county, state and federal government.
We have a rich history of extending North Dakota’s land-grant university. Federal legislation established Extension in 1914, but years before that our predecessors were extending education through lectures, institutes, tours, fairs and demonstrations.
... that through Extension’s help
“men and women may develop within
themselves the ability to bring
about a better condition in the community.”
North Dakota’s first Extension director
Paige Brummund, Extension Agent
Paige Brummund is the Ward County Agriculture and Natural Resources Extension Agent. Her programming areas include Livestock Production, Crop Production, Horticulture and Farm Business Management. She also has administrative duties in the Extension Office.
Paige joined the Ward County Extension Service in 2011. She is a graduate of NDSU with a degree in Animal Science and Equine Studies and a minor in Agribusiness. A native of Oakes, her previous work experience was in the private sector managing bovine and equine reproductive programs on ranches in Texas and Oklahoma.
- Livestock Production- information on program areas in all animal systems with a focus in bovine and equine. Programs include education on herd health, nutrition, reproduction, and general husbandry.
- Crop Production - information on program areas in agronomy. Programs include education on best management practices, weed control, crop rotation, soil health and crop budgeting among other topics.
- Horticulture - information on a variety of home and commercial horticulture programs. Topics include gardens, lawns, trees, and fruit and vegetable production in North Dakota.
- Agribusiness - provides programming in the areas of farm and ranch succession planning, farm business management, Annie's Project (farm business education for women), ag budgeting and marketing.
Ellen M. Bjelland, Extension Agent
Ellen joined the Ward County Extension Service in June of 2013. She serves as the Family and Consumer Science Agent and in that capacity offers research-based educational programming in the areas of Food and Nutrition, Family Resource Management and Human Development. Ellen is a graduate of NDSU with a Bachelor's Degree in Home Economics Education and a Master's Degree from the University of Missouri-Columbia in Human Development and Family Studies. Ellen is a native of Berthold, North Dakota.
- Foods and Nutrition - provides current research-based education and information for healthy living choices.
- Family Resource Management - resources and information on managing family finances and wise consumer practices.
- Human Development - resources and education to help with personal and family relationships and communications.
Trisha Jessen, Extension Agent
- Trisha teaches research-based education to SNAP eligible youth and adults in
the four core elements: Dietary Quality, Food Safety, Purchasing and Security.
Holly Arnold, Extension Parent Educator
Holly joined the Ward County Extension Service in October of 2003. She received her Child Development/Family Services degree from NDSU. Since 2007, Holly has been the Parent Resource Center (PRC) coordinator for Region II which includes the following counties: Bottineau, Burke, McHenry, Mountrail, Pierce, Renville and Ward.
- PRC - Coordinate and deliver educational opportunities, information and
resources to parents, caregivers, and other professionals.
Emily Goff, Extension Agent
Emily joined the Ward County Extension Service in March of 2017. Prior to working in Ward County she was an Extension Agent-In-Training for Eddy, Foster, and Wells Counties. Emily grew up in Danvers MN where she was an active 4H member. She graduated from the University of Minnesota, Crookston with a Bachelor of Science in Agribusiness and minors in Animal & Equine Science.
- 4H and Youth Development
Laura Morelli, Extension Assistant
Laura began working with the Extension Service in 1995. She provides support for the agents in 4-H and Parent Resource Center. She received a Bachelor of Social Work degree from Minot State University.
Shirrell Ott, Extension Assistant
Shirrell began working with the Extension Service in February of 2015. She provides support for the agents in 4-H Youth Development, Family and Consumer Sciences, and Family Nutrition Program. Shirrell received her A.A. degree from UND in Grand Forks.
For 31 years she has worked in offices providing support to busy executives.
Micki Mertz, Sr. Administrative Assistant
Micki began working at the extension office in January of 2014. She provides support for the office running the day to day operations as well as providing support to Paige in areas concerning agriculture, horticulture, crop, livestock, and pesticide programs. She studied English at the University of North Dakota.