North Dakota Agricultural Experiment Station


| Share

Multistate/Regional Committee Participation

National Information Management and Support System (NIMSS)
 - NIMSS is a web-based application that allows participants of multistate research projects and activities to submit proposals and reports online. The system can also be queried for relevant information.

Multistate/regional research is a collaborative effort between multiple states or across a region. The mission is to capitalize on the strengths of individual experiment stations by melding their strengths into cooperative and complementary research programs. North Dakota Agricultural Experiment Station (NDAES) faculty and staff participate in many multistate research committees; committees established to share goals and results on research of high priority among state agricultural experiment stations, the cooperative extension service, the USDA, and other research institutions and agencies.


To become an official participant of a multistate research project committee, you should first visit with your department chair/head/director. Upon approval by your unit head, contact North Dakota Agricultural Experiment Station (NDAES) director's office at or 701-231-7655 to request participation. You will be asked to provide information that will be input to the NIMSS website. See "Appendix E instructions" below.

For participation, this data will be input by office personnel in the NDAES after approval by Dr. Greg Lardy, station Administrative Advisor, or Dr. Frank Casey, Associate Director of the NDAES. You will receive notification of approval by email.

Appendix E Instructions

Research commitments section (If applicable, please indicate technician or research associate time in TY or PY):

  1. Scientific (Scientist) Year – This is the portion of time for scientists (asst. professor, asst. scientist, and above) who are responsible for creative scientific study, thought, originality, judgments, and accomplishments directly assignable to the activity reported.
  2. Professional Year – This is the portion of time for persons who hold positions in professional categories and who are assigned to research activities of the projects. Such professionals usually hold a bachelor and/or master degree. Graduate students, by virtue of their degree and acceptance in graduate school, may be categorized as “professionals.” (This would include any post-doctoral research candidates you may have working on your research)
  3. Technical Year – This is the portion of time for technicians, aids, and laboratory assistants assigned in support of a project or an activity. (This would include any research technicians working under your guidance on the project)

Research section:  See “Manual of Classification for Agricultural and Forestry Research, Education, and Extension” at: for descriptions and codes of research areas that match your project. Select the appropriate code(s).

Extension section:  KACS (Knowledge Area Classification System) - See section five in the linked manual listed above.

Official Station Representative

Only one voting representative is allowed per institution per project. More than one individual, however, may be listed as a member of the project.

Travel Funds

Regional research travel funds are available to official station representatives for expenses associated with travel to an authorized meeting. Funds are limited to $600 during each federal fiscal year (10/1-9/30). Please contact NDAES Director's Office at or 701-231-7656 prior to making travel arrangements for approval to use regional research travel funds.

Examples and Impacts

Creative Commons License
Feel free to use and share this content, but please do so under the conditions of our Creative Commons license and our Rules for Use. Thanks.