Agriculture and University Extension


| Share


Obtaining Reciprocity Certification in North Dakota

If North Dakota law requires you to have a pesticide certification, you must hold a North Dakota certificate. A valid certification in another state may help you obtain a North Dakota certificate but it does not substitute for one.

North Dakota may issue a certification on a reciprocal basis, without examination, to nonresidents who are certified to use restricted use pesticides under an EPA-approved program. Whether reciprocity exists or not depends on other state's regulations and how similar they are to North Dakota. Eligibility for an individual holding a certificate will be determined on a case by case basis.

Out-of-state applicators, and dealers must meet all requirements for certification in North Dakota. These requirements include:

  • certification fee
  • proof of a valid pesticide license or certificate from state of residence
  • copy of a government issued picture identification
  • proof of financial responsibility (applicators only), and
  • an appointment of agent

What follows are documents and applications you may use to obtain reciprocity:

Renewal Request:  Letter of Instruction and Forms 

First Time Reciprocity Request:  Letter of  Instruction & Forms

Creative Commons License
Feel free to use and share this content, but please do so under the conditions of our Creative Commons license and our Rules for Use. Thanks.