Agronomy Seed Farm Annual Field Day Set for July 15
The North Dakota State University Agronomy Seed Farm field day will be held July 15 beginning at 2 p.m., according to Tom Teigen, NDSU Agronomy Seed Farm director.
The NDSU Agronomy Seed Farm is a mile south of Casselton and a mile west on the frontage road that parallels Interstate 94 on its north side.
The tour will feature:
- A discussion on wheat varieties will be led by Mohamed Mergoum, NDSU wheat breeder. This discussion will give producers an opportunity to see new varieties so they can compare yield potential, disease resistance and quality characteristics with the varieties they are growing.
- Dave Franzen, NDSU Extension Service soil scientist, will discuss the work he is doing to collect data that will be used to review and possibly revise the nitrogen recommendations for corn. His research plot at the farm is one of more than 80 sites where nitrogen treatment rates in corn are being tested. In 2011, 2012 and again this year, he is sensing each treatment with two active optical sensors to develop algorithms to help direct nitrogen supplemental rates during the growing season.
- John Nowatzki, NDSU Extension agricultural machine systems specialist, will present information on optical sensors as they relate to nitrogen management on corn. This information also can be applied to other crops to help producers manage fertility during the growing season.
- Joel Ransom, NDSU Extension agronomist, will discuss his research on the effectiveness of tillage and nitrogen management strategies for the efficient use of nitrogen on corn.
- Weed control on a wide range of topics will be discussed by weed researchers from NDSU.
Following the field presentations, participants are invited to attend a tour of the Tharaldson Ethanol plant.
A complimentary meal will be served at the conclusion of the tour.
NDSU Agriculture Communication – July 3, 2013
|Source:||Tom Teigen, (701) 347-4743, email@example.com|
|Editor:||Rich Mattern, (701) 231-6136, firstname.lastname@example.org|