Personal and Family Finance


Personal and Family Finance

| Share

How to File an Income Tax Extension

If you need more time to file your 2016 federal income tax return, you can request an extension.

An extension will give you until Oct. 16, 2017, to file your return, and you can avoid the penalty of 5 percent of the unpaid taxes for each month it is late.

An extension does not give you more time to pay what you owe. You will need to estimate the amount of tax you owe and pay that amount by April 18, 2017, or you will be subject to penalties and interest.

You need to file Form 4868 electronically by using IRS e-file or completing a paper copy and mailing it to the address in the table below.

Source: , NDSU Extension Service Personal and Family Finance Specialist, 701-231-8593.

Creative Commons License
Feel free to use and share this content, but please do so under the conditions of our Creative Commons license and our Rules for Use. Thanks.