- Integrated crops, livestock, range and wildlife research.
- Variety, herbicide and crop production research.
- Lamb and beef feedlot nutrition and management.
- Reproductive management of fall, winter and spring lambing ewes.
- Multiple-land use management including cropping systems, livestock and wildlife as potential outputs.
Christopher Schauer, Director and Animal Scientist
John Rickertsen, Agronomist
Rick Olson, Agronomy Technician
- Rambouillet Ram Test, Sheep Schools, Shearing Schools and Wool Classing Schools
- Value Added Animal Production- evaluation of forage, grain, byproduct and marketing alternatives in calf and lamb finishing
- Novel techniques and feeding systems for improving reproductive efficiency in Rambouillet ewes
- Alternative grazing systems for cattle and sheep that minimize labor
- Crop, variety, forage, plant pest and herbicide trials throughout SW North Dakota
- Biofuel feedstocks and alternative crop evaluation
- Incorporation of cover crops into no-till cropping system
- Distribution of Foundation Seed to regional grain producers
Range and Wildlife
Benjamin Geaumont, Wildlife and Range Scientist
Dan Graham, Wildlife and Range Technician
Caleb Dalley, Weed Scientist
Daniel Abe, Weed Science Technician
- Nesting success and habitat selection of upland gamebirds and waterfowl in grasslands managed with livestock
- Evaluation of Sharp-tailed Grouse use of the Grand River National Grasslands
- Nesting success of upland birds and habitat use by upland chicks when managed with grazing cattle
- Native prairie restoration techniques
- Utilization of cover crops by wildlife and livestock
- Interactions among prairie dogs, wildlife and livestock
- Herbicide trials conducted in spring wheat, durum, dry peas, lentils, safflower and canola.
- Trials conducted on cheat grass (Japanese brome) control in pasture/rangeland.
- Weed seed of kochia, Japanese brome, wild oat, redroot pigweed, green and yellow foxtail were collected and cleaned. (Seed of Japanese brome and kochia spread on weed research fields.)
North Dakota State University
Hettinger Research Extension Center
102 Hwy 12 W
PO Box 1377
Hettinger, ND 58639