Gearing Up for Kindergarten is a parent and family education program that supports child development, school readiness and healthy parenting.
View the map to find a Parent Resource Center in your area. Contact information is below along with questions and answers about the Gearing Up for Kindergarten program.
Judith Konerza, Ph. D.
Parent Resource Coordinator
Grand Forks Public Schools
Gearing Up for Kindergarten is a parent and family education program that supports child development, school readiness and healthy parenting. Gearing Up for Kindergarten combines preschool learning activities for children as well as educational opportunities for parents.
Entering kindergarten is a major transition in the life of a child and his or her parents. Kids need to be ready for school, and schools need to be ready for kids. That's why Gearing Up for Kindergarten offers educational classes that prepare parents and their children for success in school.
Playing, reading and talking with your child are important teaching tools. You are your child's first and most influential teacher, and your involvement can make a huge impact on how well your child does in school, and impacts future success.
Parents can support their children's learning by providing them with general knowledge and age appropriate skills and strategies.
Participants learn techniques to help their child develop social, emotional, motor, language and intellectual skills.
The Gearing Up for Kindergarten program will help parents better prepare their child for success in kindergarten.
Students with involved parents are more likely to:
- earn higher grades and test scores
- have better social skills
- have decreased alcohol use, violence, and antisocial behaviors
- make better transitions from elementary school to middle school, then high school and beyond
- stay in school
Research on the Gearing Up for Kindergarten program suggests that the parent school relationship is enhanced through participation in the program. Children and parents who are prepared and know what to expect in school tend to experience less anxiety and greater enjoyment when entering school.
Documented impacts of participants indicated that:
- Social skill development was three times higher and emotional skill development was two times higher in children who participated, compared with those who did not.
- Familiarity with numbers was four times higher and familiarity with the alphabet was two and a half times higher for children who participated, compared with those who did not.
- Michigan Department of Education - "Why Parent Engagement is Important" (PDF)
- Michigan Department of Education - "Early Learning Overview" (PDF)
- Michigan Department of Education - "Parent Involvement Fact Sheet" (PDF)
- Click here to go to Michigan Department of Education "Collaborating for Success" - Parent Engagement Toolkit site
Parent Education Network Contact Information
Region 1 -Parent Resource Center
Vacant, Parent Educator
110 W Broadway
Williston, ND 58802-2047
Phone: (701) 713-0663 Fax: (701)572-9794
Region 2 - Central Dakota Parent Resource Center
Holly Arnold, NDSU Extension Agent/Coordinator
Ward County Extension Office
Courthouse, Room 101, Box 5005
315 3rd St. S.E.
Minot, ND 58702-5005
Phone: (701) 857-6450 Fax: (701) 857-6454
Macine Lukach, NDSU Extension Agent/Coordinator
Cavalier County Extension Office
901 3rd St, Suite 7
Langdon, ND 58249-2457
Phone: (701) 256-2560 Fax: (701) 256-2561
In partnership with:
Early Explorers Head Start and Early Head Start
1401 College Dr. N., Devils Lake, ND 58301
Molly Soeby, NDSU Extension Agent/Parent Educator
151 4th St. S., S302, Grand Forks, ND 58201-4715
Phone: (701) 780-8229 Fax: (701) 780-8309
Judith Konerza, Coordinator
3351 17th Ave. S.
Grand Forks, ND 58201
Phone: (701) 787-4216 Fax: (701) 746-2432
Sue Quamme, NDSU Extension Agent/Coordinator
1010 2nd Ave. S., Box 2806
Fargo, ND 58108-2806
Phone: (701) 241-5700 Fax: (701) 241-5935
Amy Tichy, NDSU Extension Agent/Coordinator
Barnes County Extension Office
230 4th St. N.W. #204, Valley City, ND 58072-2947
Phone: (701) 845-6652 or (701) 845-8528 Fax: (701) 845-8538
Amber Schwab, Ext. Agent/Parent Educator
210 2nd Ave. N.W.
Mandan, ND 58554-3158
Phone: (701) 667-3342 Fax: (701) 667-3348
Debra Theurer, NDSU Extension Agent/Coordinator
Stacy Kilwein, Partners in Parenting Coordinator
336 5th St. W.
Dickinson, ND 58601-4722
Phone: (701) 456-0007 Toll-Free 1-877-264-1142
Fax: (701) 456-0008