For North Dakota Administrators
The 2015 Legislature's funding included the Gearing Up for Kindergarten program in North Dakota. The Gearing Up for Kindergarten program was developed by NDSU Extension Service specialists and Parent Resource Center coordinators to assist parents and their children in preparing for the transition to kindergarten.
Entering kindergarten is a major transition in the life of a child and his or her parents. Kids need to be ready for school, and schools need to be ready for kids. That’s why Gearing Up for Kindergarten offers educational classes that prepare parents and their children for success in school.
- Parents and their child attend the year prior to entering kindergarten.
- Parents and children participate in class together for the first half of the evening. Together they explore and experience learning centers. Each week there are math, science, literacy, and multi sensory learning centers. Children stay with the teacher for second half of class and parents have their own session with the parent educator in another location.
To qualify for reimbursement, your school district must:
- Have a representative (kindergarten teacher, school principal, program coordinator, etc.) trained in the Gearing Up for Kindergarten program.
- Offer the 10 week program.
- Complete the evaluation form at the end of the program. Submission for payment for reimbursement must be made no later than June 10, 2016 (if your school will not complete Gearing Up for Kindergarten by June 10, 2016 please contact Judith Konerza at 701-787-4216 or email@example.com).
Reimbursement for Schools for 2015-2016
- New approved schools will receive $3,500
- Returning schools will receive $3,300
- Complete the
- Schedule a training session with the Gearing Up for Kindergarten coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Plan the number of classes based on 10 to 15 students/parents per class.
- Reimbursement is intended to cover teacher/facilitator costs. School districts should plan to cover the remaining costs.
- School districts will be selected based on the order of applications received until funds are expended. Notification of successfully funded applicants will be made within two weeks of submission to the designated contact person.
New schools to the Gearing Up for Kindergarten program are required to attend a training. For training information contact Judith Konerza @ email@example.com or call 701-787-4216. Kindergarten teachers, program coordinators and parent educators are all recommended to attend the training.
Control group studies indicate that:
- On both social skills and pre-academic skills, children in the Gearing Up group had an increase in ability three times higher than children who did not participate.
- Participants rated Gearing Up as a significantly more valuable source of information on parenting and school readiness than any other source.
- 96 percent of parents indicated the program was very or extremely useful to them in their parenting.