Flood Information


| Share

Replacing Your Important Papers

How to replace certificates, licenses, registrations and records in North Dakota.
  • Birth and Death Certificates – Contact your county courthouse (recorder’s office) or the site below. Information needed: name of record, date of birth, place of birth (city or county), father’s name, mother’s name (including maiden name). www.vitalrec.com
  • Marriage License, Marriage Dissolutions (divorces), Adoption Decrees – Contact your county courthouse (recorder’s office) or www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w/north_dakota.htm
  • Immigration Documents – Contact your county courthouse or the site below for citizenship, immigration, permanent resident card (green card), employment authorization, re-entry permit and more. http://uscis.gov
  • Driver Licenses – Visit any North Dakota driver license site with acceptable identification, fee required. www.dot.nd.gov/public/licensing.htm
  • Vehicle Registration, License Tab or Title – Complete an Application for Certificate of Title and Registration of a Vehicle found at the site below. Drop this off at your local motor vehicle office or mail it to: (enclose the appropriate fee) North Dakota Department of Transportation, Motor Vehicle Division, 608 E. Boulevard Ave., Bismarck, ND 58505-0780. www.dot.nd.gov/forms/sfn02872.pdf
  • Passport – Complete form DS-64 from http://travel.state.gov/passport/lost/lost_848.html
  • Military Records – Request Standard Form 180 (SF-180) from any office of the Veterans Administration, American Legion, VFW or Red Cross, or download from http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/standard-form-180.html
  • Mortgage Papers – Contact your lending institution
  • Property Deeds – Contact the recorder’s office in the county where the property is located
  • Insurance Policies – Contact the insurance company for replacement papers
  • Social Security Card – Go to a Social Security Administration office or the site below. You also can request a copy of your Social Security statement. www.ssa.gov
  • Transcript of Your Tax Return – Call nearest Treasury Department office, IRS office or (800) 829-3646; request form 4506. To find your local IRS office, go to www.irs.gov/localcontacts
  • Savings Bonds/Notes – Complete Form PDF 1048 (Claim for Lost, Stolen or Destroyed U.S. Savings Bonds) available by calling call (304) 480-6112 or at www.treasurydirect.gov/forms/sav1048.pdf
  • Credit Cards
    • American Express - (800) 528-4800
    • Discover - (800) 347-2683
    • MasterCard - (800) 622-7747
    • Visa - (800) 847-2911
Creative Commons License
Feel free to use and share this content, but please do so under the conditions of our Creative Commons license and our Rules for Use. Thanks.