Search
North Dakota State University www.ag.ndsu.edu Crops Family-Youth-4-H Economics-Community-Leadership Home-Lawn-Garden-Trees Environment-Natural Resources Livestock Nutrition-Food Safety-Health

photo of Williston Research Extension Center

Williston Research Extension Center

photo of Williston Research Extension Center

Home
Annual Reports
Variety Trial Data
Seed Increase Program
Horticulture
Research Program
WREC Staff
Mission
Photo Gallery
Tribute to Dr. Frohberg
NDAWN
Williams County Extension
NDSU Ag Page
City of Williston
MSU Eastern Agriculture
Research Center

 

Jerry Bergman,
Director WREC
14120 Hwy 2
Williston, ND 58801-8629 voice: (701) 774-4315
fax: (701) 774-4307
NDSU.Williston.REC@ndsu.edu


The History of WREC

The Williston Experiment Station was established by House Bill 240 on March 13, 1907. It was located north-east of Williston along the Little Muddy Creek. Originally 160 acres, approximately 130 acres were irrigable. Soils were not typical of the area. In 1939 the legislature added an irrigation unit in McKenzie County (which was sold to the Corps of Engineers in 1957).

first main building

first farm

In 1953 the legislature permitted relocation of the Station and the sale of 80 acres of the original 160 acres. The 80 acres retained by the State of North Dakota is now the site of Williston State College.

Money from the sale of the 80 acres was used to purchase 640 acres of land, build two dwellings, a machine shed, a seed house, shop and garage along with site improvements, such as roads and a water system - all for only $175,000! Relocation took place in 1953 and 1954. In 1985 the legislature permitted purchase of an additional 160 acres of land and in 1989 changed the name to Williston Research Center, which was later amended to Williston Research Extension Center.

   
Information Academics Research Extension Calendar Weather Directory