North Dakota State University Crops Family-Youth-4-H Economics-Community-Leadership Home-Lawn-Garden-Trees Environment-Natural Resources Livestock Nutrition-Food Safety-Health
NDSU banner

WREC banner


Annual Reports
Variety Trial Data
Seed Increase Program
Research Projects
WREC Staff
Photo Gallery
Tribute to Dr. Frohberg
Williams County Extension
NDSU Ag Page
City of Williston
MSU Eastern Agriculture
Research Center


Jerry Bergman,
Director WREC
14120 Hwy 2
Williston, ND 58801-8629 voice: (701) 774-4315
fax: (701) 774-4307





The History of WREC

The Williston Experiment Station was established by House Bill 240 on March 13, 1907. It was located north-east of Williston along the Little Muddy Creek. Originally 160 acres, approximately 130 acres were irrigable. Soils were not typical of the area. In 1939 the legislature added an irrigation unit in McKenzie County (which was sold to the Corps of Engineers in 1957).

first main building

first farm

In 1953 the legislature permitted relocation of the Station and the sale of 80 acres of the original 160 acres. The 80 acres retained by the State of North Dakota is now the site of Williston State College.

Money from the sale of the 80 acres was used to purchase 640 acres of land, build two dwellings, a machine shed, a seed house, shop and garage along with site improvements, such as roads and a water system - all for only $175,000! Relocation took place in 1953 and 1954. In 1985 the legislature permitted purchase of an additional 160 acres of land and in 1989 changed the name to Williston Research Center, which was later amended to Williston Research Extension Center.

present farm

Information Academics Research Extension Calendar Weather Directory

This Page Last Updated February 5, 2009 by L. Bradbury