North Dakota State University * Dickinson Research Extension Center
1133 State Avenue, Dickinson, ND 58601 Voice: (701) 483-2348 FAX: (701)
Miscellaneous Cooperative Projects
- Field evaluation of woody plant materials for conservation use. The station continued to
cooperate with the Soil Conservation Service Plant Materials Center, Bismarck, ND in their
project number 381316K. The objective of this project is to assemble and evaluate woody
plant materials for conservation use. New and/or replacement plantings have been made each
year since 1978. Field evaluation of material included in this planting is made annually
and reported biennially in even numbered years in the SCS Plant Materials Center Technical
Report. The 1984 annual report of the Dickinson Station included a summary of evaluation
of material included in the Dickinson planting. The 1986 station report will include an
update of these evaluations.
- Phenological observations on Red Rothamagensis lilac in the NE69 Phenology project were
completed for the 24th consecutive year and results forwarded to the project
leader at Purdue University.
- Re-evaluation of NC7 Regional ornamental plant trials is underway following a change in
project leadership at the Regional Plant Introduction Station, Ames, Iowa. Inventory of
all previously planted materials was completed with the assistance of personnel from the
Department of Horticulture, NDSU. Plantings in 1985, which included 10 new species, were
completed for the 30th consecutive year of cooperation.
- The third year of cooperation with Johnson Foundation Seeds in testing of drought
resistant sunflower hybrids was completed.
- While not a formal project, the Station continued to serve the National Weather Service
as a bench mark station at Dickinson and as a weather observation station at Ranch
headquarters. The Dickinson Branch Station weather station may be the only remaining bench
mark location in North Dakota. Observations from this location have been continuous since
Back to 1985 Research Reports Table of Contents
Back to Research Reports
Back to Dickinson Research Extension