Terry Rime, Wally Eide, Ken Odde, Travis Maddock and Greg Lardy
NDSU Department of Animal and Range Sciences
Meat processing is an important industry in
• Amounts and types of offal
• Geographic distribution of offal
• Seasonal trends of production
• Current methods of offal disposal
No historical data is available, as a survey of this type has never been
Materials and Methods
A list of all state-and federally-inspected slaughter plants was obtained from the State Meat Inspection Program of the North Dakota Department of Agriculture. The project consisted of physically visiting each plant and completing an offal production survey.
The one-page survey, which was completed on site with the processors,
included the following main
• Slaughter data on cattle, hogs, deer and other animals
• Current offal disposal methods
• Current storage methods
• Frequency of offal pickup and length of time offal is on site
• Current cost of offal disposal
• Current method of hide disposal
All 125 contacts completed the survey. Information was collected for this report, as well as additional data to be used in future cost analysis work.
This report does not provide data from the major hog processor in the state (Cloverdale Foods Inc.), nor does it provide data from the major bison processor in the state (North American Bison Cooperative). These firms were surveyed, but data from those surveys will not be disclosed to protect confidentiality. Table 1 shows pounds per species, with the number of head listed under pounds.
The southeast region of the state leads in the production of offal, followed by the southwest, northwest and northeast (Table 2). The southern part of the state produces more offal – 8.49 million pounds vs. 6.46 million pounds, or 57% vs. 43%, of the total offal produced. However, if the state is divided into east and west, the difference in offal production is quite small (7.68 million pounds in the west versus 7.26 million pounds in the east, or 51% vs. 49%).
The balance of the renderable offal is collected and processed in
When the major hog and bison processors are removed from the data set, only 56% of the offal that the remaining 115 plants produce is rendered and 44% is deposited in municipal and private landfills (Table 3). This totals 7.24 million pounds annually.