Agribusiness and Applied Economics


| Share

Academic Advising


schedule appointmentschedule an appointment by logging in with student success collaborative 

Freshman & Incoming Transfer Students

David Englund, Lecturer, Agribusiness & Ag Econ & Econ 
Office: 404 Barry Hall
Phone: 701.231.6641

Zachary Machunda, Lecturer, Agribusiness & Ag Econ & Econ 
Office: 540 Barry Hall
Phone: 701-231-7383

Sophomore Advisers

Robert Hearne, PhD., Agribusiness & Ag Econ & Econ 
Office: 636 Barry Hall
Phone: 701.231.6494

William Wilson, PhD., Agribusiness & Ag Econ & Econ 
Office: 634 Barry Hall
Phone: 701.231.7472

Siew Lim, PhD., Agribusiness & Ag Econ & Econ 
Office: 548 Barry Hall
Phone: 701.231.8819

Lei Zhang, Ph.D., Agribusiness & Ag Econ & Econ 
Phone: 701.231.9797 
Office: 538 Barry Hall 

Junior Advisers

Erik Hanson, PhD., Agribusiness & Ag Econ & Econ 
Office: 628 Barry Hall
Phone: 701-231-5747

Sharma, Anupa, Ph.D., Agribusiness & Ag Econ & Econ 
Office: 400G Barry Hall
Phone: 701-231-7448

Saleem Shaik, PhD., Agribusiness & Ag Econ & Econ 
Office: 504 Barry Hall 
Phone: 701.231.6494 

Tom Wahl, Ph.D., Agribusiness & Ag Econ & Econ 
Office: 406 Barry Hall
Phone: 701.231.9481 

James, Caton, Ph.D, Agribusiness & Ag Econ & Econ
Office: 400C Barry Hall
Phone: 701-231.7337


Senior Advisers

Dragan Miljkovic, PhD., Agribusiness & Ag Econ & Econ
Office: 614A Barry Hall
Phone: 701.231.9519

David C. Roberts, PhD., Agribusiness & Ag Econ & Econ
Phone: 701.231.9796
Office: 544 Barry Hall

David Saxowsky, J.D., Agribusiness & Ag Econ & Econ
Office: 428 Barry Hall
Phone: 701.231.7470

Cheryl Wachenheim, PhD., Agribusiness & Ag Econ & Econ
Office: 520 Barry Hall
Phone: 701.231.7452

Jeremy Jackson, PhD., Agribusiness & Ag Econ & Econ
Office: 400B Barry Hall
Phone: 701.231.7832

FAQ Advising in the Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics

Students and advisers often have the same questions about classes, majors, transfer credits, and other issues surrounding a student's program at NDSU. Below are some frequently asked questions that provide you a good place to start getting the answers you need. If the information provided here does not answer your specific question, either: Contact your adviser directly; or Email your question to


Q.  Do I have to see my adviser before I register?
No, you are not required to see your adviser before you register. However, it’s in your best interests to get advice concerning which courses to take and when to take them. This can become especially important later in your career since your adviser is likely to know more about when a particular course or sequence of courses will be offered. Several courses in the College have pre-requisites; not getting the courses you need in the right sequence can delay your graduation. We recommend that you visit with your adviser at least once a semester. Your adviser is familiar with the major, requirements, course sequencing, and course availability. Advisers can help students avoid mistakes that may add an extra semester or more to your program of study
Q. What classes are offered only Fall Semester? Only Spring Semester?
Generally, the University Bulletin Course Description pages indicate which courses are offered only in the Fall or Spring semesters with an F or S following the course description. There are exceptions, so you should check the online schedule for availability.
Q: I am majoring in Agribusiness. Do I need to register for a minor in Business Administration or Accounting?

Yes. It is best to work with your adviser to make sure the Business courses you take best support the agribusiness program of study as well as give you the skills you will need in your future career.

To qualify for a minor in the College of Business Administration (CBA), you need to:

 1. Complete the College of Business minor declaration form.  

2. To be approved, you need to have at least junior standing (60+ credits) by the time you enroll in the 300 and 400 level CBA classes and have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5. You may not enroll in CBA courses if your GPA falls below 2.5.
3. If approved to earn the minor, you may enroll for CBA classes during the "priority" period, which is typically the first 14 days of the registration period. You are, however, not guaranteed a place in specific CBA classes.
4. Courses in the College of Business carry additional fees per credit.


Q: Will the Agribusiness minor satisfy the minor requirement for the B.S. in Economics?


Q: I am a transfer student, and have satisfied the NDSU general education communication requirements. Do I still need to take more classes for the agribusiness or agricultural economics majors?

Yes. You must still complete all communication courses required by our major. The general education communication requirements only include English 110 and 120 and Communications 110 and a 300 level upper writing course. You will need an additional three credits communication course listed on our program of study forms to earn majors in Agricultural Economics or Agribusiness.

Q: How do I declare a minor in one of the other disciplines (for example Crop & Weed Sciences)?

You may declare the major using the Registration and Records online major/minor change form (with the exception of Business or Accounting minors which require approval via the College of Business).

Q: Can I use ECON 201/202 to satisfy general education requirements?

For the Agricultural Economics and the Agribusiness majors, these two classes (six credits) satisfy the social/behavioral sciences general education requirement. For the Economics major, only three credits (e.g., ECON 201) can be used for the social/behavioral science requirement and three (e.g., ECON 202) can be applied to the global perspectives requirement. You will need an additional nine credits of adviser approved courses from the NDSU list of general education classes in the social/behavioral science area.

Q: Can I use COMM 216 to satisfy the general education humanities requirement?

COMM 216 can satisfy the diversity requirement, but not the humanities requirement.

Q: How do foreign language classes count in my major?

There are several things to keep in mind with respect to foreign languages:

1. Achieving at least a second year competency in a foreign language is needed to get a B.A. in Economics (the B.S. in Economics requires a minor in some other subject area). Second year competency can be achieved by taking two years of a foreign language at the university level, or taking four years of language in high school and passing a competency test administered by the NDSU Department of Modern Languages.

Q: The class I want is full. How can I get in?

When registering in Campus Connect, select wait list course if full. If an opening occurs the next wait listed student will automatically be enrolled in the course. You will not receive notification so it is best to check your schedule in Campus Connect on a frequent basis. If no wait list option is available in Campus Connect call the Department at 231-7442.

Q: One of the courses required for my major is not being offered this semester and I want to graduate. What can I do?

There are two answers to this question: First, it is important to plan when you will take your required classes (working with your adviser of course!) from the start of your studies. This way you will reduce the odds of being caught short when you want to graduate. Second, if a class is unexpectedly canceled, we can find an acceptable substitute in most cases. You will need to complete a Substitution Form, get your adviser's approval, and get the department head to sign off on it.

Q. Can I substitute CSCI 114 for CSCI 116?

Only if you completed CSCI 114 before you declared a major within the Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.

Q. How do I find an internship?

You should enroll with the Career Center.  Then you will have access to the internships and co-op opportunities available through the Career Center. Some students find a internships through acquaintances, rather than using the Career Center. Announcements of openings are distributed to the student listserv when they are received. We also post internships to our website. We recommend that you work on all approaches.

Creative Commons License
Feel free to use and share this content, but please do so under the conditions of our Creative Commons license and our Rules for Use. Thanks.