Agriculture Communication


| Share

Contact Ag Communication to Make Sure Mailings Meet Regulations

Before preparing an alumni publication, producer newsletter, 4-H mailing or any other copied and mailed piece, contact the Ag Communication Distribution Center and Print and Copy Services to make sure your plans meet regulations. The staff probably can save you money, too.

The U.S. Postal Service (USPS) now requires that if a printed job consisting of one 11 x 17-inch sheet of paper is folded twice into quarters and tabbed be mailed, it must be printed on 70# Offset paper. Many newsletters have used 60# Offset paper in the past. The cost of 70# is nearly the same, so orders are now being completed on 70# paper. If you’re developing your own documents in this format, be sure to use or request 70# Offset paper.

Documents that are two or more 11 X 17 pages still may be printed on 60# Offset, but they must be folded, stapled and tabbed to meet USPS regulations.

In addition, the Distribution Center staff can run your mailing lists through software that certifies those addresses and reduces postage costs, primarily for bulk (minimum 200 pieces) and presorted first class (minimum 500 pieces) mailings.

Contact any of us before you start a project to be mailed to make sure it will meet USPS regulations and to save money on the mailing.

Chris Anderson, Print and Copy Services Production Manager, (701) 231-7410; Diane Ness, Print and Copy Services Customer Service Manager, (701) 231-2000; Sharon Lane, Distribution Center Manager, (701) 231-7883

Creative Commons License
Feel free to use and share this content, but please do so under the conditions of our Creative Commons license and our Rules for Use. Thanks.