College of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Natural Resources


| Share

Transfer Student Program

The College of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Natural Resources (CAFSNR) is pleased to admit students transferring from other institutions. Advisers have experience working with transfer students and, in many cases, the transfer can be accomplished fairly seamlessly. A transfer can be done at any time during the academic career. However, the following rules must be followed:

  • At least 36 credits counted for graduation must be at the 300 or 400 level.
  • A transfer student must earn a minimum of 60 semester credits from four-year institutions (including NDSU credits).
  • At least 36 must be NDSU resident credits.

Transfer Student Services provides information and resources for students planning to transfer to NDSU and students considering a transfer are encouraged to go there for information about the process.

Students wishing to transfer are frequently concerned about whether previously earned credits will transfer to NDSU. The following statements frequently apply to this issue:

  • Credits earned at an accredited college or university will usually transfer and be counted toward the total credits for graduation.
  • Application of the credits to an NDSU degree program will vary depending upon the degree program and the list of courses taken at the previous institution.
  • Transfer students from four-year colleges or universities, who were taking classes that were part of a Bachelor of Science degree program that has some similarity to the CAFSNR degree program will usually be able to apply most, or all, of their credits to an CAFSNR degree program.
  • Transfer students from two-year colleges, who were pursuing an Associate of Science degree will generally be able to apply most, or all, of their credits to an NDSU degree program.
  • A student who completes an Associate of Science degree in an agriculture-based field at a two-year college has usually taken courses which apply to NDSU General Education requirements as well as some specialized lower division courses in agriculture, business or science that will fit into a CAFSNR degree program.
  • Students who were pursuing an Associate of Applied Science, even in an agricultural area, may find that they have taken several specialized courses that do not have an NDSU equivalent and must be used as free electives.

For information about how specific courses at an institution outside of NDSU will transfer to NDSU, please refer to for transfer course equivalencies.

Creative Commons License
Feel free to use and share this content, but please do so under the conditions of our Creative Commons license and our Rules for Use. Thanks.