Communication Arts Program
Stark-Billings County 4-H Communication Arts Event date will be scheduled soon and will be held at the county extension office. Check back for the event schedule. Pre-registration is required to the Stark-Billings County Extension Office.
The 4-H Communication Arts program will:
- help participants develop communication skills that are useful throughout a lifetime;
- provide participants an opportunity to practice their skills before a group;
- provide participants an opportunity to gather and organize information, equipment and props for public presentation;
- develop participants' confidence in making public presentations; and
- evaluate and enhance communication skills.
The Communication Arts program is open to any youth involved in Extension youth programs. It includes two age divisions: the preteen division (youth 8 to 12 years-old before Sept. 1, 2013) and the teen division (youth ages 13 to 18 before Sept. 1, 2013), the start of the current 4-H year.
Stark-Billings County offers a "recitation only" category for Cloverbuds. This category is noncompetitive and provides equal recognition for all participants.This optional category provides young participants an opportunity to make presentations without the task of finding or writing material and without the stress of competition. Recitation of the 4-H Pledge or Pledge of Allegiance is appropriate.
Levels of Involvement
Club: All 4-H members are encouraged to give a public presentation at the club level.
County: Any youth can participate in the county or multicounty 4-H Communication Arts contest.
District: Ten district events are held. Each district consists of the group of counties in the multicounty program units (MPUs). Stark-Billings County participates in the district contest held in New England each year.
The 2014 District 4-H Communication Arts event will Thursday, May 29, at the New England Public School starting and will begin with registration at 6 p.m.