Homemade Meat Sauce
- 2 tsp. salad oil (such as olive, canola or sunflower oil)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 pound lean (90 percent or leaner) ground beef
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 c. chopped flat-leaf parsley (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. salt (optional)
- 1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound whole-wheat spaghetti
Rinse and prepare vegetables as indicated. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is beginning to brown, five to eight minutes. Stir in garlic and Italian seasoning; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add beef and cook, stirring and breaking up with a spoon until no longer pink. Drain grease. Increase heat to high. Stir in tomatoes and cook until thickened, four to six minutes. Stir in parsley if desired and salt. Keep warm. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain. Serve the sauce over the pasta and sprinkle with cheese.
Makes eight servings.
Each serving has 389 calories, 9 grams (g) of fat, 53 g carbohydrate, 28 g protein, 9 g fiber, 416 milligrams (mg) sodium and 709 mg potassium.