Try These "December Resolutions"
Enjoy the food and the holidays, but remember: Overeating in December often leads to weight loss resolutions in January. Since gaining weight usually is easier than losing weight, manage your portion sizes with these tips for December:
- Curb your appetite before parties and other celebrations.
– Drink a glass of water.
– Have a snack, such as one of these:
• Cup of chicken noodle soup with whole-grain crackers
• Apple slices with peanut butter
• Fat-free yogurt with sliced bananas
- Slow down when you eat. Remember, your brain takes 30 minutes to figure out your stomach is full.
- Stand a distance from the serving table. Spend your time visiting with family and friends. (Remember, talking with your mouth full is not polite!)
- If you’re going to a potluck, be a trendsetter: Bring a veggie tray instead of a cookie tray.
- When given a choice of a large plate or small one, opt for the smaller one. Or use a napkin to gather your goodies. That way, you’re less likely to take drippy foods that usually are high in fat and calories.
- Fill up on fruits, veggies, whole-grain crackers and lean meat. Have dessert last, and consider sharing it with a friend.
- Choose your beverages carefully. Most holiday beverages add “empty calories.” Enjoy a special beverage of choice, but then switch to water or another calorie-free beverage.