Six Ways to Slim Down Your Holiday Recipes
- Use reduced-fat cheese in casseroles.
- Replace "regular" sour cream with nonfat sour cream or plain nonfat yogurt.
- Try substituting applesauce for the oil in muffins or banana bread, but note that substituting applesauce does not work when making cookies.
- If you make stuffing for a turkey, add extra onions, celery and even fruits such as cranberries.
- Instead of fried onion rings on a green bean casserole, sprinkle the top with sliced almonds.
- Remove the skin from the turkey slices before serving.
Julie Garden-Robinson, Food and Nutrition Specialist, NDSU Extension Service