Loaded Potato Soup with Bacon Crumbles
- • 3 c. red potatoes, peeled, cooked and mashed
- 1 Tbsp. margarine (soft, tub-style)
- 1 c. onion, chopped
- ½ c. green or red pepper, chopped
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can chicken broth, reduced-sodium
- 1 c. fat- free milk
- 1 c. frozen peas (or mixed vegetables), thawed
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 4 slices (3 ounces) American cheese
- 4 strips reduced-sodium bacon, fried and crumbled
- ½ c. green onion, diced
- Fat-free sour cream (optional)
Peel, cook and mash potatoes. Fry bacon until crumbly, drain well and set aside. Melt margarine in a sauce pan over medium heat. Stir in green or red pepper and cook for about five minutes, until the pepper is softened. Stir in broth and heat to a boil. Add milk and vegetables. Heat through, stirring occasionally. Add the cheese slices, cooking and stirring for about two minutes. If desired, add additional milk to reach the desired consistency. Serve immediately. Top with crumbled bacon, green onion and, if desired, fat-free sour cream.
Makes 6 servings.
Per Serving: about 200 calories, 7 grams (g) of fat, 24 g carbohydrate, 9 g protein, 3 g fiber and 450 mg sodium