Are you looking for a way to keep track of your physical activity and the foods you eat to help you accomplish your goals this year? Put your smartphone to good use and try the USDA Super Tracker App.
Making lifestyle changes can be challenging. Be sure to focus on simple steps so you have better chances for success. Here is an example of the 1-3-5 method of goal setting.
Set a single, specific goal, write it down and tape it on your refrigerator or bathroom mirror as a reminder. Remember your goal can be personalized to fit your situation. Work on your goal one step at a time. Find a "buddy" with a similar goal and encourage each other toward better health.
Click here for a short news clip of the 1-3-5 Method.
An Example of the 1-3-5 Method
- Set 1 goal at a time.
- "I want to lose 10 pounds by _____." (Add date about two months away for a 1- to 2-pound weekly weight loss.)
- List 3 reasons why you want to achieve this goal.
- "I want to reduce my risk of diabetes."
- "I want to be able to keep up with my grandkids."
- "I want to be able to fit into my clothes better."
- List 5 strategies you'll use to achieve this goal.
- "I will have a protein-containing breakfast every day."
- "I will eat at least 4 1/2 cups of fruits and vegetables per day."
- "I will go for daily walks with my dog."
- "I will keep an activity/food journal to track my practice."
- "I will set weekly goals for myself and reward myself with a nonfood item when I achieve them."