Chung S. Park
Office: 193 Hultz Hall
Phone: (701) 231-7670
A. Research interests:
Maternal nutrition and epigenetic imprint in mammary development, lactation, and mammary tumorigenesis.
Seoul National University Animal Science BS 1964
University of Georgia, Athens Animal Nutrition MS 1972
Virginia Tech & State Univ., Blacksburg Nutritional Physiology PhD 1975
Virginia Tech & State Univ., Blacksburg Lactation Physiology Postdoctorate 1975/77
Purdue University, W. Lafayette Mammary Biology Postdoctorate 1977/78
C. Professional Positions:
1978-1982 Assistant Professor, Dept. of Animal Sciences, North Dakota State University, Fargo
1982-1988 Associate Professor, Dept. of Animal Sciences, North Dakota State University, Fargo
1985-1986 Visiting Professor, Dept. of Medicine/Oncology, Stanford University Medical School, Stanford (Dr. Frank Stockdale)
1986-1986 Visiting Professor, Dept. of Cell Biology, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory, University of California, Berkeley (Dr. Mina Bissell)
1994-1994 Interim Chair, Dept. of Animal Sciences, North Dakota State University, Fargo
1988-present Professor, Dept. of Animal Sciences, North Dakota State University, Fargo
D. Selected Peer-reviewed Publications:
(From a total of 67 refereed journals/book articles; 6 invited)
- Wiens, D., C.S. Park, and F.E. Stockdale. 1987. Milk protein expression and ductal morphogenesis in the mammary gland in vitro: Hormone-dependent and -independent phases of adipocyte-mammary epithelial cell interaction. Dev Biol 120:245-258.
- Aggeler, J., C.S. Park, and M.J. Bissell. 1988. Regulation of milk protein and basement membrane gene expression: The influence of the extracellular matrix. J Dairy Sci 71:2830-2842.
- Choi, C.B., M.G. Baik, W.L. Keller, and C.S Park. 1993. Lipotrope-modified diets enhance nitrosomethylurea-induced mammary carcinogenesis in female rats. Nutr Cancer 20:215-221.
- Park, C.S., C.B. Choi, M.G. Baik, and W.L. Keller. 1994. Modulation of expression of fos and Ha-ras oncogenes and ornithine decarboxylase activity in mammary gland and liver of young female rats by the absence of dietary lipotropes. J Dairy Sci 77:2214-2220.
- Moon, Y.S., W.L. Keller, and C.S. Park. 1998. Dietary lipotrope-mediated mammary carcinogenesis in female rats. Nutr Res 18:1605-1614.
- Wu, D., W.L. Keller, and C.S. Park. 1998. Lipotrope deficiency inhibits cell growth and induces programmed cell death in human breast cancer cell line MCF-7. Nutr Cancer 32:13-19.
- Park, C.S., and G.L. Lindberg. 2004. The Mammary Gland and Lactation. Pages 720-741 in Dukes’ Physiology of domestic Animals 12th ed. (W.O. Reece, ed.) Cornell University Press, Ithaca, NY.
- Park, C.S. 2005. Role of compensatory mammary growth in epigenetic control of gene expression. FASEB J 19:1586-1591.
- Park, C.S., K.S. Cho, D.R. Bae, N.E. Joo, H.H. Kim, L. Mabasa, and A.W. Fowler. 2008. Methyl-Donor Nutrients Inhibit Breast Cancer Cell Growth. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol-Anim 44:268-272.
- Cho, K., L. Mabasa, A.W. Fowler, D.M. Walsh, and C.S. Park. 2010. Canola Oil Inhibits Breast Cancer Cell Growth in Cultures and In Vivo and Acts Synergistically with Chemotherapeutic Drugs. Lipids 45:777-784.
- Park, C.S. 2010. Lipotropes (Folate, Vitamin B-12, Methionine and Choline) Reduce Breast Cancer Risk. Pages 133-139. In Advances in Medicine and Biology, Vol. 12 (L.V. Berhardt, ed.). Nova Science Publishers, Hauppague, NY.
- Mabasa, L., K. Cho, S. Bae, D.M. Walsh, and C. S. Park. 2011. Lipotropes (Methyl Nutrients) Inhibit Growth of Feline Lymphoma in Vitro. Res Vet Sci. 93:259-263.
- Cho, K., L. Mabasa, S. Bae, M.W. Walters, and C.S. Park. 2012. Maternal High Methyl Diet Suppresses Mammary Carcinogenesis in Female Rat Offspring. Carcinogenesis 33:1106-1112.
- Mabasa, L., K. Cho, M.W. Walters, and C.S. Park. 2013. Maternal Dietary Canola Oil Suppresses Growth of Mammary Carcinogenesis in Female Rat Offspring. Nutr Cancer [In Press].
- Cho, K., L. Mabasa, M.W. Walters, and C.S. Park. 2013. Lipotropes enhance the anti-proliferative effect of chemotherapeutic drugs in MCF-7 human breast cancer cells. Oncol Rep [In Press].
ANSC 488 - Dairy Production (Undergraduate capstone course): 1994-2011
ANSC 721 - Biology of Lactation (Graduate course): 1979-present