Agribusiness and Applied Economics Scholarships
The Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics annually awards approximately $40,000 to students in Agribusiness and Applied Economics who demonstrate initiative and scholastic achievement. All Agribusiness and Agricultural Economics majors are encouraged to check specific scholarship application criteria regardless of grade point average since several scholarships are awarded on a geographical basis, on a need basis only, or other specific qualifications. Recipients of departmental scholarships are selected by the Agribusiness and Applied Economics Scholarship Committee. Application forms are available on this page and also in Richard H. Barry Hall 500.
Scholarships are also available to high school seniors and transfer students who plan to major in Agricultural Economics or Agribusiness. In addition to the down loadable link at the right, applications are available from high school counselors and vocational agricultural departments, by contacting the Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
Loans, grants, and general scholarships are available through the University Financial Aid Office. There are also a number of scholarships awarded each year to students enrolled in the College of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Natural Resources. Application for College of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Natural Resources scholarships is done by completing the NDSU General Scholarship form. By listing the College of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Natural Resources and their major on this form, students are automatically eligible for all College general scholarships. For more information and a listing of scholarships available through the College, see College of Ag Scholarship Program.
Several scholarships are also available from organizations outside the Agribusiness and Applied Economics Department. These scholarships must be applied for separately from Agribusiness and Applied Economics Departmental Scholarships and many have application due dates which differ from the Departmental due date. Recipients of these other scholarships are selected by the individual organizations.
Questions concerning scholarships may be directed to Shelly Swandal, Barry Hall 550, or the Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
A student that completes the Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics scholarship application will be considered for the following scholarships:
- Cole R. Gustafson Memorial Scholarship: Awarded to an undergraduate student pursuing work or research for-credit
- Clifford M. and Ruth Altermatt Scholarship: Amount varies. Awarded to graduate students in Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
- Don Anderson Graduate Scholarship: $1,000 awarded to prospective graduate student interested in Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
- Harold H. and Doris E. Berg Memorial Economics Scholarship: Awarded to junior majoring in Economics with preference given to students with an interest in credit/financial management.
- Frank Bain Graduate Student Scholarships
- Jim and Jody Hauge Scholarship: Awarded to sophomore to be used in junior year, who demonstrates financial need,interest in community activities, and a desire for a career in Agriculture.
- Joe Peltier Scholarship: Awarded to North Dakota student, junior or above enrolled in the Center for Risk Analysis and Research.
- John Lee Coulter Memorial Scholarship: Awarded to North Dakota resident.
- Rex Warfield Cox Memorial Scholarship: Amount varies.
- Richard Crockett Memorial Scholarship: Amount varies.
- Roland W. and Leona M. Currie Scholarship: Amount varies. Awarded to junior or senior majoring in Agricultural Economics with stated goal of graduate school.
- G. Leonard and Pam Dalsted Scholarship: $1500 - North Dakota resident.
- Lester Erickson and H.W. Herbison Memorial Scholarship: (number of awards varies) $500-$1,750 - Undergraduate students with financial need (several $500 awards to incoming freshmen and transfer students).
- North Dakota Farm Credit Services Scholarship: $500 - Junior with interest in cooperative agricultural finance.
- Emil Gregory Family Scholarship: Sophomore, junior, or senior with a cumulative GPA 3.0 or higher; ND resident for five or more years; employee of a ND cooperative for at least three months (need not be current employee).
- Del Helgeson Memorial Scholarship: Preference given to student with a North Dakota agricultural background.
- Perry V. Hemphill Memorial Scholarship: Amount varies.
- Thor Hertsgaard Memorial Scholarship: $500 - Awarded to incoming freshman.
- Farm Credit Services, Lloyd K. Well Scholarship: Awarded to Sophomore interested in agricultural finance - North Dakota resident. Amount varies.
- Vernon C. Lee Memorial Scholarship: (3) - Amount varies.
- L.D. Loftsgard Memorial Scholarship: Amount varies.
- Blake Miller Memorial Scholarship: Sophomore, junior or senior majoring in agricultural economics; cumulative GPA 3.0 or higher.
- North Dakota Farm Credit Services: Junior interested in agricultural finance.
- North Dakota Wheat Commission Scholarship: $350 - For students with an interest in grain marketing.
- Steve and Jeanette Reimers Memorial Agricultural Scholarship: Agribusiness or agricultural economics major.
- Donald F. Scott Memorial Scholarship: $600 - Awarded to incoming freshman.
- Fred R. and Hildegard M.Taylor Memorial Scholarship: Amount varies.
- Theodore S. Thorfinnson Memorial Scholarship: Amount varies. Sophomore in farm management option.